Sunday 22 January 2012

Letter from America: 1918

Here is the text of Willie's letter to his brother James, dated  6th February 1918. He refers to his brother John (known as Jack) who died just 3 years later, aged only 36, and also to his new-born baby boy Robbie (later known as Bob). Some interesting references to the way things were then.


                                                                                                                     311 E. 65th Street
                                                                                                                      New York City    
                                                                                                                       Feb. 6th 1918                                                                                           

Dear Brother

I have been intending to write you for sometime past, but as usual I always put it off. How are things going with you all? I hope you are not having a severe winter. We have had a severe cold winter here. Coal you can’t buy it is so scarce. It has not bothered us so bad as we cook and heat the house by gas,  but the gas gave out twice this winter when the temperature got down to zero. Sugar is also hard to get and quite a few more things are also scarce. The cost of everything  has advanced about 100% as well.

Maggie wrote us about the New Year time and she said you had bought a pony. I had a letter from Craig as I have no doubt you know, and Jack and I signed same and returned it over a month ago.
Jack has been living with us here since the New Year. He is doing a job in the City here, same boss. He is leaving in a few weeks to be a Foreman for another firm on a government job down in Virginia. He is getting more money and of course that is an attraction, and he likes the country I think. He is still a British Subject but I hardly think they will call any(one) here meantime over the draft age 21 to 31 years. The building line is very slow here just now outside the government work that is going on. We have been rather slow the last three months.

Isn’t it too bad about poor Davie Grierson. I am to act as executor on his estate, but have not got the proper power of attorney from his people yet. Of course I have been communicating with them. I think altogether there ought to be about $2,300 got to people. Roughly about £465 after deducting the death duties etc. It will take over six months before they can get any of it. The City Administrator will not pay anything sooner. I turned the whole thing over to them of course and they took charge of his Bank Book, Insurance Policy etc. His clothes and tools are still left with us.

Bye the bye I have been talking to Jack lately about Father’s gravestone. I think I wrote you once before asking you about it but I don’t think you said much about it. Now I expect you paid for the stone yourself Jamie. Maggie told me one time that the price was £31.0.0 if I remember right. Now Jack and I wish to give our fair share towards that, and as our share of Father’s estate is £25.14.0 each we will leave the £5.14.0 each. That will make 1/3 the cost of the stone.

I have just seen in an Elgin paper that Nicoll the baker is dead. We have not heard from ??? for quite some time now, but I expect they are all well out there. Things are in a bad way all over Canada I believe. If this awful carnage in Europe was only finished, but peace just looks about as far away as ever. I see they have decided to take lots of the young men from the munitions and put them in the fighting line. How is Peter going to fare in this. I expect he is still in Sheffield.

May and Robbie are both in fairly good health. The little fellow is hardy and strong. He is just about able to walk himself now. Jack and him are great friends. I expect Mary is still in Glenrinnes. Maggie says she likesTuriff (?) very well. She won’t manage to get home so often now.
Well I think I have given you about all my news meantime. I hope mother is keeping well and is not bothered with rheumatism. How is everyone else at home? In good health I hope. Trusting to hear from you with all the home news. With best love to all from Jack, May and I.

I remain your loving Bro.
Willie

No comments:

Post a Comment