Tuesday 17 January 2012

Letter from America: 1853




This entry is really just about the letter James McWilliam wrote to his wife Margaret on June 11th 1853 shortly after his arrival back in the USA after a long absence. As mentioned in the previous post, it comes across to me as a well written letter, i.e. the handwriting is good and the grammar and spelling are pretty good. I attach scanned copies of the letter – or rather of my fairly poor photocopy. In my transcription I have made some small alterations to spelling here and there, but I have left in many of what we would regard as misspellings by today’s conventions.

In the letter James reports on his voyage, and on the money he has in the bank. $4180 must have been a comfortable sum in 1853! He also talks about his thoughts on whether or not he should be asking his family to make the move to America, clearly coming out somewhat against the idea. There is also mention of some domestic and family matters, but it is unclear what lies behind these comments, e.g. regarding the suggestion that his wife Margaret would need a good horse. He mentions that Jane Garden is in New York.  At first I read this as James Garden  (a former neighbour at Smithstown who was also part of that group who got into some trouble with the law).  I now know that he was transported to Australia in 1827, and believe that the letter to refers to his sister Jane/Jean Garden (a niece of James McW).  He also mentions staying with James Perry nearby to Schenectady. He was a nephew of James (son of sister Anne), who has his own tree of descendants in NY State and elsewhere in the US.
In the letter we learn that James travelled on the SS City of Glasgow. At first I presumed that the journey would have been from Glasgow to New York. I have looked up this ship and find that it was a newish kind of steamship (screw propeller rather than paddles, and assisted by sail). It was launched in Glasgow in early 1850. At first it plied the Glasgow – NY route with a mix of passengers and cargo, but moved to the Liverpool-Philadelphia route later that year. It was lost at sea on that  route in January 1854 with 480 people on board. I have come across a drawing of it which I have included above.

And here’s the letter. I’ll let it do the rest of the talking.

To: Mrs Margaret McWilliam
       Smithstown, Mortlach,
       Banffshire, Scotland



                                                                                                                    Schenectady, June 11th 1853

Dear Margaret

I have now accomplished the journey long contemplated. Thank God I stood the fatigue fully as well as I expected.  I was a good dale sick, but when I went to bed I got over it. The Glasgow is a verie good ship and with a fair wind veri easy. But the wind was right ahead of us all the time which made the passage more disagreeable. We made the passage in 13 days and 4 hours which was a veri good run against a headwind. I did not find Jane Garden in New York, and I did not stop but a few hours in it. I came right on to here. All my old acquaintances and friends seem glad to see me and is (sic) remarkably kind to me. I am now stopping with John Ellis, but there is a little too much grandure for me. I do not feel as if I was at home. Tomorrow I mean to go to the country to James Perry and I shall stay with him for a week or two.

With regard to the money concern it is all right and I do not believe that ever it was refused. I think it was  self interest which made Mr Ellis say so. He wanted to get me here to settle some disputable affairs. Mr Ellis went with me and introduced me to the cashier of the bank, and he was readie to pay me the money at any time I chuse to call for it. All he said about was I think Mr you have not been afraid of losing your money it has not accumulated as far as I expected. I shall be plain and tell you all about it. The amount is Four Thousand One Hundred and Eighty Dollars, which would amount to about Eight Hundred and Forty Pounds Sterling. The interest of it here is a few shillings over Forty Pounds a year. I expected the stock to be about a Hundred pounds more, but I must be content as it is. I know it will not increase much as long as I am here idle.

I find as I go along that this country has improved a great dale since I left it, every thing is nice and pretty to look at. But what does that avail to me?  There is none of it mine and I cannot say I am at home. Mr Ellis and my other acquaintances I have seen insists upon me to settle in this country but I have not consented to do so as yet. I acknowledge it a good country and if we were once settled in it we could do well enough. But I know that you are too old for ever liking the country. To me it would soon become familiar and our other young people would soon come to like it well enough but I think it would be different with you, therefore I shall not say that I will or will not until you write me again which I want you to do as soon as you receive this. If I come home this fall I must leave upon the 10th of September because the next trip would be too late in the season. Jean Garden is stopping here and has been for the last three weeks. Her health was rather poor and she left the Citty for some time. She is to return to New York about the first of August. Please to tell her father and all her friends that she is well.

I am sorrey to say that I have not been too well since I landed as I could wish. We was cool upon sea until the day we landed, then when we landed the weather was extremely hot and I got a verie bad cold which will take me some time to get over that makes me rather uncomfortable at present but I think I will soon get over it. I hope that this will find you and the rest of the family enjoying good health and every other comfort of life. Tell Robert that I think a great dale about him. Tell him he must be good and learn to read well until we meet again. When you write be shure to mention how John’s knee is. I should be glad to hear that it was well. With regard to your other affairs I need not say anything about them. Aney of you should know what is right to be don as it should be. I will not see it and it will not anger me. All I shall say is that by attention, economy, perciverence, and industry you can do well enough, and without that no one will or can do right. The greatest difficulty you will have is in getting a horse to sute you. I told Alexander all my mind about that before we parted, so I hope you will be fortunat in getting one to sute you. There is another thing that grieves much that is your woman. I know she will not do well. I told Alexr to try to get clear of her if possible, if you can do so. If not you must do the best that you can. The time will wear past.
Please give my compliments to all neighbours and acquaintances. And I shall remain yours faithfully till death, James McWilliam





No comments:

Post a Comment