Sunday 13 November 2011

Lewis McWilliam 1763 - 1844 and his descendants


I'm starting this blog primarily as a convenient way of storing and recording some of the history of our McWilliam family. The focus will be on Lewis McWilliam (approx. 1763 - 1844) and his wife Anne Munro and their various descendants, because this is the main information I have or that have been able to get from other sources. I don't know how far I will be able to go with this. It will almost certainly remain very sketchy, with many unknown factors. Nevertheless, I hope it will be of interest to some McWilliams out there. Of course I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who can help add relevant information.
Although the predominant spelling of the name is McWilliam, some have become MacWilliam, or have had an S added to make them McWilliams. I regard these variations as the result of the quirks of census recorders or of immigration clerks, or just of personal preference. You are all welcome here!
First exhibit is a scanned copy of a handwritten descendent chart for Lewis McWilliam and Anne Munro......inevitably incomplete.

A footnote here (in 2020 edit) is that I have managed to extend my knowledge of this branch of the McWilliam family - in all directions - and also to correct some errors.  I have recorded some of this in a wider tree (also called McWhistory) at ancestry.com. This is should be publicly available; so please let me know if you wish to see it but can't find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment